An award-winning journalist throws his professional integrity away by acting a fool and publishing long, ranting pieces on popular culture, post-modern life and the overall human condition without the help of a copy editor.

Monday, July 02, 2007

Name That Foreign Game Show: Human Tetris Edition

(originally published at the now-defunct www.poweredbyshows.com)

I am not necessarily a game show connoisseur, but I will still catch myself watching all too much of GSN (Game Show Network) and random cable channels in order to find some of the more bizarre antics the world at large can cook up. Over the weekend, TV Squad posted a video of this Japanese game show, which is basically like a very big game of Tetris, except it’s only one block every few minutes and your entire body is on the line. As each contestant tries to fit into each designed hole, the show gets more and more ridiculous, and a big part of me thinks that it could make a great addition to Spike TV.

Hell, I’m still waiting for American Gladiators to come back, all updated for the Ultimate Fighting Championship-watching teenagers of today.

The game show is not mentioned in the clip--well, it might be, but I don’t speak Japanese--but this is not a problem. I would rather it not be named. Why? So I can start a column about finding said foreign game shows and giving my own suggestions, as well as a few from my fiancee. You are welcome to, as well.

(Side note: The following exercise is not meant to mock any language or country and is not intended to be insensitive. I have no desire to poke fun at other cultures. I do, however, find language barriers endlessly fascinating and very amusing, and should be chalked up to the peculiar idioms made up by each of these cultures.)



Fiancee’s Title Suggestions:

Body Shaped Hole Fit
Fit Through Hole in Wall or Shame Your Family
Happy Contortionist Fun Show
We Love Foamcore

Marcus’s Title Suggestions:

Super Squeeze
Mountain Dew Tumble
Tetris for Winners!
Prison Break

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home